Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chicken with Spicy Orange Sauce

So for a second time my recipe comes from Cooking Light, but this time it's from the August 2007 issue. The original recipe is for shrimp, but since I don't like shrimp I substitute chicken, which works very nicely. My husband Brett loves this meal and I make it all the time. I made it for a family get together on Sunday and even though I doubled it there wasn't any left! The spicy factor is not that huge and it goes away very quickly, so don't be afraid to try it. I generally don't like spicy foods and I love this. Make it with white rice for a great meal!

  • 2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks (or 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (such as Sambal Oelek)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions (I usually omit these)

Place chicken (or shrimp) in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch; toss well to coat. Set aside. Combine juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and chile paste, stirring with a whisk; set aside. Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic to pan; stir-fry for 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add chicken; stir-fry until cooked through (3 minutes for shrimp). Add juice mixture and onions; cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens and meat is done, stirring frequently. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)

0 comments: